Originally published in the January 2012 Edition of Thoughtspot . We’ve broken the article down into 4 parts to allow us to focus on one email type per post. Click here to read last week’s post on Newsletters.
What is it: Email promotions are targeted emails that highlight a specific product, general sale, tell a customer story, etc. The goal of email promotions is generally to increase sales and maintain brand awareness. Many email promotions come across as blatant advertisements. The most successful email promotions provide valuable content such as product reviews, customer experiences, problem/solution scenarios with one of your products as the solution or free samples or gifts. This content adds value to your customer, making the promotion more enticing.
When should I send it: Promotional emails can be sent at any time, but it is best to place them on your marketing calendar throughout the year to spread out your marketing opportunities. When generating your promotional emails, develop campaigns of multiple emails instead of a single email. As your inbox likely proves, promotional emails are sent more frequently around major holidays. Think about sending promotions around more obscure holidays to stand out from the crowd. Check out our email scheduling calendar for 2012 holiday dates.
Here are two great examples of email promotions.
Why it Works:
- Promotional offer is placed towards the top of the email and is clear and concise.
- Additional details are helpful, easy to understand, and scan quickly.
- Call to Action phone number is bold and stands out.
Why it Works:
- Content is friendly, but to the point.
- Call to Action arrows stand out and are easy to find for recipients.
- Though there are a lot of click through opportunities, the email remains short and requires very little scrolling.
If your have a great example of a promotional email, send it our way. We’d love to feature it in a future post. Come on back to the blog on Wednesday to learn about email invitations.