I receive a lot of email newsletters every week. To be honest I only read a handful of them. Of all of the email newsletters I receive on a weekly basis, the email from Houzz.com is one I always read. It also happens to be one of the longest emails I have ever seen!
In email marketing we always say things like, ‘Keep it short and sweet!’ or ‘Shorter is always better.’ As you can see, the Houzz email shatters this email marketing rule. So why do I open it every week?
- The images are beautiful and are major eye candy for a amateur decorator like me.
- The headlines make it simple to scan for areas that interest me.
- A wide variety of topics are covered from decorating to DIY to gardening to styles of decor and everything in between.
- Clicking through is easy… both the headlines and the images link to the article.
Long emails like the Houzz email don’t work for everyone. In fact, they don’t work for most. However, I think long emails work when:
- You have a visually stimulated audience.
- You have excellent, professional images to share.
- You have a wide variety of content that would appeal to a variety of tastes.
- You organize your email in such a way that scanning and clicking is easy.
What do you think? Does the Houzz email work for you? Do you ever read long emails?