Leadership is often thought to be a characteristic limited to a few within an organization rather than all. Today we take a moment to reflect on leadership… what we think about it, how we lead, and how we can all become leaders.
- For the first time ever, everyone in an organization – not just the boss – is expected to lead.
- The very structure of today’s workplace means that it’s easier than ever to change things and that individuals have more leverage than ever before.
- The marketplace is rewarding organizations and individuals who change things and create remarkable products and services.
- It’s engaging, thrilling, profitable, and fun.
- Most of all, there is a tribe of fellow employees or customers or investors or believers or hobbyists or readers just waiting for you to connect them to one another and lead them where they want to go.
Leadership isn’t difficult, but you’ve been trained for years to avoid it.”
– Seth Godin, Tribes
Questions to ask yourself:
- Make a list of 5 ways you ‘lead’ within your organization.
- How have you been trained to avoid leadership? How can you change your mentality?
- Add 5 more ways you can start to lead within your organization to the list.
- How will you implement the ideas on your list?