We love email…and we love sharing our passion with you. During the month of February aka the “month of love”, we will be featuring one email a day with tips, commentary and more from industry experts.
Day 6: crowdsavings Provides Inspiration on WHAT NOT TO DO
Subject Line: ★ Check Out This Week’s Top Deals
Industry: Retail, Group Specials
Type of Email: Sales
Uninformative Subject Line
- It would have been better if it included a detail or two about one of the week’s deals.
- I assume they probably just re-use the same subject line every week? Nothing says spam and “I don’t care about you” like repetitive subject lines.
Irrelevant Alt Text
- The main image takes up a majority of the space in the email and the Alt Text just says ‘new years’. The email has absolutely nothing to do with New Years! This makes the alt text pointless because it offers no explanation of the image or it’s relation to the email.
- The email provides absolutely no information on the specific deals offered this week. (Again, this makes me believe that they re-use the template without making any alterations.)
- The only main body text is “Check out this week’s top deals on Crowdsavings.com”. This makes the image redundant because it only says Crowdsavings.com and “Check Out the Deals”. The image itself is kind of cheesy as well.
- When I forwarded the email prior to downloading the images, the content was negatively altered when I opened the forwarded version. i.e. The header and main body images were removed and the button got distorted (also had no option to ‘download images’)
Generic List Segmentation
- Nothing says personal like “National” when competitors like Groupon or LivingSocial send personalized deals for local areas.
The only positive quality that I found in this email was the CTA (View/Check out Deals). Since it was the only content provided in the email, I knew right away what action they wanted me to take.
Feeling inspired with what to do or NOT do? Tweet us with hashtag #28DaysofEmailLove or email us.
Need assistance with your email template? Contact our creative services division Bright Peak at brightpeak.com or 877-228-8377 option 3.