We get asked this question all the time. While we wish successful email marketing was as easy as purchasing a list, the truth is it’s not. Buying and using email lists means you are sending emails to people who have not opted in to receive your communications. Because they haven’t opted in, you are at risk for being flagged as spam, losing your email service provider (most of us don’t allow purchased lists) and alienating the customers who actually do want to receive your emails.
The Bottom Line: Don’t purchase email lists!
Here are some ways to build your email list with out paying for it:
- Place an opt-in form on your website. Make it easy to fill out by asking few questions
- Collect emails as tradeshows and other events. Include signage which says they will be added to your list
- If you have a store front, ask for emails at checkout and tell customers what they will receive in their email by signing up
- For ecommerce, add opt-in forms to the check-out process on your website
- Add a newsletter sign-up form to Facebook to capture the emails from your social followers
- Run a contest on social media and ask for email addresses as part of the entry process
What other ideas do you have to build a great email list?